· 3/4 cup finely chopped smoked ham or prosciutto
· 3/4 cup finely grated Cheddar or Asiago cheese
· 2 cups self-rising flour
· 1 teaspoon dry mustard
· 2/3 cup milk
· 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, with a wooden spoon, stir together the ham, cheese, flour, mustard, and milk until you have a soft dough.
2) Pour half of the melted butter into the bottom of a 1-by-9-inch baking pan; set aside. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out or pat into a 10-by-6-inch rectangle. Using a serrated knife or a pizza wheel, cut the rectangle of dough lengthwise in half, then cut crosswise into 3-by-3/4-inch strips.
3) Place the strips into the prepared pan. Drizzle the dough with the remaining melted butter.
4) Bake for 15 minutes, or until the biscuits have risen and browned. Serve hot.
From: Prairie Home breads: 150 Splendid Recipes from America’s Breadbasket
By: Judith M. Fertig